ArcGIS in the Student Multimedia Design Center
The Student Multimedia Design Center has ArcGIS 10.2, a popular Geographic Information System (GIS) software by ESRI, installed on the Digital Mapping Station. Some preloaded data, compiled by ESRI, is available to use with ArcGIS. To use the Digital Mapping Station, please sign in at the service desk and staff will enter the password. For more extensive assistance, users are encouraged to make appointments with staff.
The Digital Mapping Station is restricted to those using GIS software or doing Digital Mapping work. Color or black and white printing jobs may be sent from the mapping station to the Print Release Station in the Student Multimedia Design Center.
Delaware Basemap Data is compiled by the Delaware Environmental Monitoring and Analysis Center (DEMAC) and includes some of the most common data used in base-mapping Delaware. Please note that these data may not be the most current. Where possible, the responsible agency has been listed with a link to that agencies web site. Users in need of the most current version of any of these data should contact the responsible agency.
CD-ROMs that contain GIS data are available for use at the Digital Mapping Station. Some discs may be borrowed. Please ask at the Student Multimedia Design Center service desk for more asisstance.
Frequently requested GeoLytics titles include:
- American Community Survey [ACS] 2011 (installed on Digital Mapping Station)
- Redistricting 2010 (CD-ROM 1937 - installed on Digital Mapping Station)
- Summary file 1 2010 (CD-ROM 1036 - installed on Digital Mapping Station)
- Census DVD, [Census 2000] long form SF3, release 2.2 (DVD-ROM 1935)
- CensusCD 2000, includes data for redistricting, blocks, short form, short form blocks for Regions 1-4. (CD-ROM 1934)
- CensusCD 2000 long form SF3 (CD-ROM 1648)
- CensusCD estimates, projections, consumer expenditures and profiles, 2003/2008 (CD-ROM 1646)
- CensusCD+Maps, 1990 census data to block group level, projections of demographics and consumer spending, map boundaries for all block groups, and county statistics from 1790 to 2004. (CD-ROM 1202)
- CensusCD 1990 long form in 2000 boundaries (CD-ROM 1647)
- CensusCD 1980, release 2.2 (CD-ROM 1645)
- CensusCD 1970 (CD-ROM 1933 - installed on Digital Mapping Station)
- CensusCD 1960 (CD-ROM 1932 - installed on Digital Mapping Station)
It is each individual's responsibility to abide by the copyright law in copying any CD-ROM or DVD-ROM. Many CD-ROMs or DVD-ROMs received as part of the Federal Depository Program are in the public domain and are not copyrighted, but most others are copyright protected. The University of Delaware Library Copyright guide has been created to assist faculty, staff, students and others find information about copyright.
Learn more about GIS resources available at UD
Google Earth Pro in the Student Multimedia Design Center
Google Earth Pro is installed on the Center's Digital Mapping Station.
Google Maps and Google Earth are assessible and easy to use. Google Earth Pro builds on the free version's accessibility and offers a variety of useful datasets. Users may view parcel, demographic, and daily traffic count data for the entire United States overlaid on top of the same, familiar imagery of Google Earth. Clicking icons on the map opens descriptions of the parcel, demographic Census data for the area, or recent traffic counts for a roadway.
Google Earth Pro may be used for quick research or to create maps. It allows users to calculate distance in feet, miles, kilometers, acres, and more. One may retrieve area and radius measurements to determine the buffer zone that may be required for an energy plant or the amount of concrete needed for a new parking lot. One may also take 3D Measurements to determine the height of a building, measure viewsheds from a new residential high-rise to the nearest park, or line-of-sight to the ocean. Google Earth Pro allows one to easily import data and style it based on important criteria.
Finally, Google Earth Pro provides rich tools for sharing data with others. Features include Movie Maker, so one may record and save 3D viewer imagery and save in real-time or a tour without interuption. One may make a movie that follows the camera viewpoint to and from multiple locations. The Map Maker Tool allows one to create maps directly from Google Earth Pro. Simply incorporating legends, HTML, directional indicators, scales and titles to a map. Customized map maps may be printed or saved as an image or PDF. Google Earth Pro easily exports projects from in the industry standard KML format.