How to Access the New York Times
1. Go to: http://nytimes.com/pass
2. Click on “Create an Account” to create an account with your UD email address. You must use your UD email address and be at a computer on-campus.
3. Click “Continue,” and check your UD email account for a confirmation email (it may take up to 15 minutes to arrive)
4. Click on the link in the confirmation email. This will simultaneously verify your eligibility and grant you access to NYTimes.com.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why register to use the NYTimes Web edition?
On March 28, 2011, the New York Times began charging for access to its Web edition. Most people, except those with subscriptions, are capped at viewing 10 articles each month before charges take effect. Registering gives you access to content without the cap.
I already have a NYTimes.com digital subscription. What do I do?
If you have an existing paid NYtimes.com digital subscription, you are not eligible to register for an account. You should continue to access the Times via your own subscription. Consider the options carefully before deciding to cancel your subscription.
Should I cancel my existing digital subscription to make use of the UD Library subscription?
The UD Library subscription has some restrictions that your personal subscription may not have.
What are the restrictions?
The UD Library subscription does not include all of the NYTimes apps, e-reader editions or Premium Crosswords or crossword apps. Registered UD users do not have the ability to share their digital access. Access to articles from 1987 to date is unlimited, but access to articles from 1923-1986 is limited to 5 per 24 hour period. Additional restrictions may apply.
Can I access the Times off-campus?
Yes, as long as you have registered using your UD e-mail address and have registered for an account.
Can I access the Times from from my mobile device?
There are mobile apps for iPhone/iPod Touch (IOS 5.0+), Android (OS 2.1+), and Windows (7.5 O.S.) phones; these are included as part of the UD Library subscription. Mobile apps for tablets are not available, but you can access the the NYTimes.com mobile site (mobile.nytimes.com) or Times Skimmer (nytimes.com/skimmer) using your smartphone or tablet running one of the above operating systems.
I have an NYTimes.com account linked to my UD email, but I don’t subscribe. Will I be able to access the Times from that account?
Yes, but you will need to login, have your UD e-mail address verified, and confirm registration. You will not need to register for another NYTimes.com account.
Why am I asked to login on some occasions and not others?
This may be because your browser may clear its Web cache/history if it is set to do so. In such cases you will need to login back into to NYTimes.com, but there is no need to register again.
Does the Library have other New York Times resources?
Yes. The Library offers a number of other ways to search and view current and historical content of the New York Time online:
- The New York Times (ProQuest Historical Newspapers), provides full page and article images with searchable full text of the New York Times from 1851-2010.
- Academic OneFile and General OneFile provide the full text of New York Times articles, 1985 to the present.
- LexisNexis Academic provides abstracts of articles in the New York Times (Final New York City Edition) from January 1, 1969 to May 31, 1980 and full text from June 1, 1980 to the present.
- ProQuest Newsstand includes the New York Times, 1980 to the present.