Once you have located a relevant text with learning objectives that are consistent with the objectives of your course, and you have examined the text for currency, clarity, accuracy, consistency and accessibility:
- Review the license for guidance regarding how the resource can be modified.
- Consider how the platform on which the material is offered may restrict or enhance your ability to edit and adapt the material to your course needs.
- Is the interface intuitive and easy to navigate and use, and is it free of broken links?
- Does the resource use gender-neutral language, is it free of stereotypes, and are the examples used within the text relevant to those from different cultural contexts?
- Are there online communities of users who may be working with this or other open texts?
For additional information about evaluating open texts for inclusion in a course, see: