The following sources can provide you with basic information on topics such as cultural groups, political parties, historical periods, etc.
- The Cambridge Companion to Modern Latin American Culture. Edited by John King. New York: Cambridge University, 2004.
LOCATION: Morris Library (F1408.3 .C283 2004)
- The Cambridge History of Latin America. 11 vols. New York: Cambridge University, 1984-.
LOCATION: Morris Library - Reference (Ref F1410 .C1834 1984)
- Encyclopedia of Contemporary Latin American and Caribbean Cultures. Edited by Daniel Balderston, Mike Gonzalez and Ana M. López. New York: Routledge, 2000.
LOCATION: Morris Library - Reference (Ref F1406 .E515 2000)
- Encyclopedia of Latin American History and Culture. 5 vols. New York: C. Scribner's, 1996.
LOCATION: Morris Library - Reference (Ref F1406 .E53 1996)
- Encyclopedia of Latin American Politics . Edited by Diana Kapiszewski; Alexander Kazan, assistant editor. Westport, Conn.: Oryx, 2002.
LOCATION: Morris Library (F1410 .E56 2001)
- Encyclopedia of World Cultures: South America. Vol. 7. Boston: G.K. Hall, 1991-1996.
LOCATION: Morris Library - Reference (Ref GN307 .E53 1991 v. 7)
- Latin American Historical Dictionaries. Series. Metuchen, N.J.: Scarecrow.
LOCATION: Morris Library (various call numbers)
- This series consists of historical dictionaries about individual Latin American countries. Similar to an encyclopedia, each dictionary provides entries on various aspects of history, geography, politics and culture of a given country. To determine whether a historical dictionary has been published for a particular country, do a keyword search in DELCAT Discovery. Example: historical dictionary and paraguay
- Latin American Studies: An Annotated Bibliography of Core Works. Edited by Ana María Cobos and Ana Lya Sater.Jefferson, N.C. : McFarland, 2002.
LOCATION: Morris Library - Reference (Ref F1408 .C536 2002)
- Reference Guide to Latin American History. New York: M.E. Sharpe, 2000.
LOCATION: Morris Library - Reference (Ref F1410 .R395 2000)
- South America, Central American and the Caribbean. London: Europa Publications.
LOCATION: Morris Library (F1406.5 .S68)